- Vermiculite concentrate beneficiation plant (Picture courtesy of Brasil Minerios)
- Caption: QA/QC Laboratory at vermiculite mine (Picture courtesy of Brasil Minerios)
- Former mine pits reclaimed to useable pasture land (Picture courtesy of Virginia Vermiculite)
- Vermiculite bulk vessel at Antwerp (Picture courtesy of Palabora Europe)
- Vermiculite concentrate being unloaded from bulk vessel (Picture courtesy of Palabora Europe)
- Containerised 'bulk bag' shipment of vermiculite concentrate (Picture courtesy of Brasil Minerios)
- Microwave vermiculite exfoliation plant (Picture courtesy of e2v)
- Friction products use vermiculite (Picture courtesy of Dupre vermiculite)
- Vermiculite circular shapes for use with ceramic cooker hobs (Picture courtesy of Dupre vermiculite)
- Expensive pottery is shipped with vermiculite as packaging (Picture courtesy of Dupre vermiculite)
- Professional growers and hobby gardeners alike use vermiculite in growing media and for seed germination (Picture courtesy of Palabora Europe)
- 'Tomato plant seedlings being raised in vermiculite’ Picture courtesy of Isoleermaterialenindustrie Pull B.V
- Vermiculite dispersions are used in heat and fire resistant coatings, as well as barrier and binder applications (Picture courtesy of Specialty Vermiculite Corporation)
Join TVA for the 2014 Annual General Meeting!
September 11-13, 2014
Park City, Utah
WELCOME TO THE VERMICULITE ASSOCIATION
Vermiculite is a unique, naturally occurring, inert laminar mineral that finds use in many construction, industrial, home, agricultural and garden products and systems.
Chemically a hydrated magnesium aluminium silicate, vermiculite exfoliates (expands) when heated to form a ultra lightweight aggregate. This product is non-combustible, compressible, highly absorbent, nonreactive and it may also have high cation exchange capacity.
Exfoliation occurs when vermiculite's interlayer water is transformed into steam. The pressure of the steam forces the silicate layers in the mineral apart and the flake forms an elongated concertina-like particle up to 30 times its original thickness.
Vermiculite is one of the safest and most unique minerals in the world. Readily available vermiculite is available in a number of different size fractions and in chemical dispersions.